Carpet installation is normally done by professional installers. However, you also have the option of going the DIY-route if you have the competency and skills required for such task. Regardless of the option that you choose, you must be familiar with the fundamentals of installation to ensure that you avoid any of the mishaps that usually happen when replacing an old carpet with a new one.
Carpet Installation Done by Professional Installers
This is normally bundled in the purchase by retailers, although there are others that offer the service as an option. Your retailer may also recommend a reputable carpet installer or you may perform the search yourself and contact professional installers of your choice. In most instances, the cost of the installation is higher when it is bundled in the purchase than when it is done through an independent professional installer. Beyond the cost consideration, you must also remember that installation works done by professional installers come with service warranties. When hiring professional installers, you have to consider their track record and client feedback. Make sure that you deal with an installer that adheres to the minimum standards for carpet installation. When shopping around for the best service, it is important that you get the cost estimates from them.
DIY Carpet Installation
You only take the DIY route if you are experienced and skilled in such job as a lot of problems may arise during installation. You don't want to end up spending more than you should for the simple reason that you made some mistakes which could have been avoided if the job was done by a professional. If you are doing the installation yourself, make sure that you have all the equipment required for the project. You can rent these tools before you start the task.
Essential Tools and Equipment in Carpet Installations
Whether you are hiring the services of a professional installer or going the DIY route, it is important that you are aware of the essential tools and equipment needed in the installation of floor covers.
• Power stretcher - This is probably the most important equipment when doing carpet installation. This is a long pole installed with grips on both ends. This equipment is used to stretch the carpet so that it doesn't buckle when doing the installation. It is outfitted with a lever which you use to make it taut when using the knee kicker.
• Knee Kicker - This handheld carpet installation tool is used in pulling out the snag of your floor cover and in securing it.
• Seam Cutter - This bladed tool is used in cutting the carpet. It is outfitted with a guide to help you make precise cuts.
• Seam Roller - This handheld equipment is outfitted with a tooth roller made of metal that is used in forcing the adhesive tape into the backing of the carpet.
• Seaming Iron - This tool is used in laying the floor carpet in places requiring several pieces. This tool is used in creating seams with the appropriate adhesive tape.
• Tackless Strips - These are wooden strips with little tacks that are pointed at 45 degrees.
• Wall Trimmer - This cutting tool is used when fitting the cover against the wall.
• Strip Cutter - This device is used in cutting tackless strips used in fastening the carpet on the wall.
These are the primary tools and equipment required when doing installation of a new floor cover. Other tools and equipment required are carpet glue, seam tape, particle mask, safety goggles, working gloves, pry bars, knee pads, glue knife and floor scraper.